Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sit!

A favourite suggestion for PoochBuddhas is sit.

For some, it means a path to a treat. For others, enlightenment. Either way, taking your seat and just being for a while has rich rewards.

Have you ever watched a pooch focus on a treat? PoochBuddhas who practice sit are developing single-minded focus. This can help with day-to-day mindfulness, and can reduce monkey-mind chatter.

I'm not sure about the focus for Hailey's meditations, other than the treat itself (usually evidenced by attractive twin lines of drool), but one of my favourites is:

inbreath: welcome (to the universe, to peace, to whatever your heart desires)
outbreath: thank you.

Repeat until nirvana occurs or treat is received. Simple, but not easy.

The Muse at Practice
PoochBuddha focus during the sit

An alternative to the thank you part is, of course, vigorous tail-wagging.




1 comment:

  1. The timing of this particular post is perfect.... We have new and, apparently, super crazy delicious treats at work and since I usually keep 1 or 2 in my pocket 'just in case', I have been especially popular out in the play yard today and my catchphrase for the afternoon was "Hey! Is that a treat in my pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

    ReplyDelete